Residents shaken by Ngawha explosion

Early this morning, Ngawha village residents were woken by a loud noise resembling an explosion originating from the Top Energy Ngawha plant.

Top Energy have said that it was in fact a valve malfunction and that an emergency valve was set in place straight after preventing any danger to residents and the environment alike.

A report from Northland Fire service which attended the supposed ‘explosion’ stated that there had been a leak of 30,000 litres of methane.

But that is being disputed by Top Energy, who conducted further testing shortly after.

Top Energy has said that they will investigate further, however time will tell whether it was a genuine leak, or indeed, a sign from beyond.